Your smiles put a spring in my step
Saturday, August 11, 2012, 7:16 PM
Hi all! This is officially the last weekend before Year 2 begins :( Let's celebrate this by having an extremely long post! (yes you may click on the X on the top right hand corner of your screen now)
Sigh I'm getting super mixed feelings. Happy because I'm excited to move on to my second year in med school, but sad because school begins = end of holidays = no more life. Oh wellsers, it's been a great 3 or so months break anyway, caught up with lots of friends and did quite a bit of reading too :)
But yep before I begin the long post, I present to you, ladies and gentleman, Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. This, my friends, is a must-read. If you've spoken to me recently I'd have recommended it to you already! Anyway, I bought this from the book fair at Suntec a few months back and it was the only copy on one of the ulu bottom shelves where no hands hardly ever roamed. So happy to have found it! By the time I finished the first few pages I already knew I was going to love the book and true enough, at the end of it I thought it really took my breath away :) Love the old fashioned narrative and Carlos Ruiz Zafon is truly amazing at describing places/things/people down to the most intricate details. It was originally written in Spanish I think, translated into English by Lucia Graves. You know a book must really be something when it's been translated into 40+ languages! So to all bookworms like myself out there, mark my words. Get your hands on a copy asap and you won't regret it! There was never a dull moment and the storyline was so wonderfully crafted; an absolutely perfect mix of mystery, romance, horror, politics, humor, and tragedy, with numerous layers of interwoven stories that piece the main puzzle together like a brilliant work of art, the most intriguing characters, and excellent twists where you least expect them :) Hadn't been this captivated by a book in a long while. Anyway I just finished another book by the same author called The Angel's Game! It's supposed to be the sequel, but after reading it it seemed more like a prequel to me than anything although it was written after the first book. (No major connections between their plots though!) It was not bad, typical CRZ style with equally polished language, but somehow I still prefer the first :P
Next up, The Meaning of Night and The Glass of Time (sequel, sort of) by Michael Cox!
So excited to read them yay, 2 super thick novels that will probably take up a lot of my time, but I'm praying hard that they won't disappoint :) Hee I've pretty high hopes for these 2 books after reading some great reviews online! And from what I see from the blurb, seems like I'm in for another wonderful ride :D Haha sorry for being so bookwormy lately, I figured I probably wouldn't have this much time to read anymore over the next x years :(
OKAY enough about books hee before I bore you to death. Time for highlights of the past 2 weeks!
1. Elsa and Sandy, my best friends in 2006 from Taipei European Schools came to Singapore to visit Daniel and me! They'd been planning the trip forever and finally it happened. Hadn't seen all three of them in years, literally! Elsa for 5 years since late 2007, Sandy for 4 years+ since mid 2008, and Daniel for 3 years+ since early 2009 if I remember correctly. I was a little apprehensive about meeting them for the first time in donkey years but I'm glad our meeting(s) went well :) There were some awkward silences here and there but that's only understandable. HAHA and it was funny because Daniel and I had to convert from our usual Singlish hahaha otherwise they wouldn't have been able to comprehend us, but we soon got used to speaking in non-Singlish anyway. Mmm I guess we've all changed significantly in our own ways. Gone are the days of hyper/silly/retarded convos and doing stupid things together, but I guess that's all part of growing up :) I do miss those days quite a bit, but sometimes memories of how hyper I used to be do make me cringe slightly hee! But those were good times, really :)
Anyway, went to fetch them from the airport with Daniel on 3 August and they could barely recognize me! Sandy sort of did though, and omg Elsa brought like a whole variety of currencies and spread them out at me like some fan because she didn't know which one was SGD HAHA ahhh Elsa's still Elsa beneath all the superficial changes :) then Daniel drove us back to his place where the two stayed for the entire duration of their trip, which was, I think, 4 nights. Turned out his sister had some friends (both overseas and local ones) over for a nice gathering with her family, so we just sat down and sort of made friends with them after a quick tour of his new house hee they were really nice people!
Day 2 I met them at MBS for dinner! Daniel the fail Singaporean brought them to Marina Bay MRT station instead of Bayfront (Y) Took forever to find each other when they finally got to MBS, and only had about half an hour to finish our dinner (some platter thing we ordered at a Mediterranean restaurant) in the end before we had to rush off to catch the water show at 8:30pm.
Our platter! We didn't know what most of the stuff we ate were but they were not bad haha
Paid for the meal like a good host and brought them to see the water show I watched with bear just a few weeks ago :) Elsa thought it was gorgeous yay! *successful tour guide toothpaste-commercial-megawatt smile* Took some better pictures this time, but still not a good enough reflection of the real thing!
Saw some NDP preview parade thing after the show, lots of NS guys marching outside the Shoppes! Tried to look for some of my friends but it was too dark and there were too many faces going by too quickly for me to identify anyone :( Think Daniel spotted some of his friends though.
Walked around MBS for a bit afterwards, contemplated whether we should try a random fish spa but decided against it in the end because no one wanted to pay $42 to have fish nibbling off our feet, watched a live performance by a jazz band (they were playing a piece called "Smooth" by Santana and wow it was really, really nice), tried some macarons at TWG and omg they were yummyyyy! ^^ Hee sorry that was my ultimate first time sinking my teeth into a macaron so please forgive me. But I honestly didn't expect it to taste that good! I've seen so many pics of macarons before and never really bothered to try them because I didn't have high expectations lol, but I was (happily) wrong. Okay suaku Joy is no longer suaku yay she's finally tasted a macaron! *party poppers and confetti*
Went to the helix bridge and took some pictures which are unfortunately still in either Elsa's or Sandy's camera, but I'll post them when whoever has the pics uploads them :) Cabbed back to Daniel's, bought ice cream from Island Creamery near his place, hung around his place for a bit then dad picked me up shortly after. I thought it was a great day out with the three of them! Caught up with Elsa quite a bit too :)
6 Aug was the last time I saw them before they flew off. We'd originally planned to have afternoon tea together at TWG@MBS (yes couldn't get enough of their macarons hee) and I was to meet them after collecting my key from PGP. The funny part was I actually ran into them at Botanic Gardens MRT on the way to NUS hee! #fate :') Parted ways expecting to see each other again at MBS later buttttt.... PGP check-in area was packed to the brim and I queued for a grand total of 3 hours for one blasted key. So I missed the afternoon tea altogether!!! :( I regret having to say this but PGP is seriously the epitome of inefficiency >:( and I'm not the only one who thinks so, apparently; one guy who was queueing nearby asked me why they took so long to just give us one key and I said I hadn't the slightest clue either. He was like "Ahh! I've been waiting for almost 2 hoursssszxzx" and I was like "Uhhuh I waited for 3" haha beat that :/ So anyway I didn't get to see Elsa and Sandy for a proper goodbye but I did send them a long whatsapp message in our group chat that night to wish them a safe flight home :)
Behold, my new PGP room! Smaller than my previous one, mirrored layout too :(
2. HC visit on 8 Aug with Yun Ting, Ken Ler, Ding Jie, Hong Guang, Ken Soo and Gao Tian! Couldn't join them for breakfast (too early hee) so we met at HC directly. Look at the bunch of them spying on me from afar as I entered through the gate -_- Ding Jie's head was bobbing up and down at first but he suddenly disappeared behind the car, then Ken Ler's head popped out of nowhere and gave me a mini heart attack
Ding Jie is nowhere to be seen because he's forever in ambush mode -_-
Went to the hall and saw our juniors having their national day celebrations!
Hahaha I still remember going for those 2 years ago, we had to sit on the floor despite our cramping legs and sore butts but this time we got to stand outside and mingle with our teachers hee! :D Hurray for promotion haha. Spoke to Ms Wong and Ms Ong outside the hall!
Group picture! ^^ Ken Soo wasn't there yet because he was still sound asleep at home (Y)
Spotted Mrs Foo sitting among the sea of teachers so I went to say hi to her :) Her left hand was bandaged :( Apparently she'd fainted a while back and injured her hand omg hope she recovers soon! It was nice catching up with her too, glad she still remembers me :D
Followed Ms Wong back to level 2 consult area to look for Mr Ng after that, then we all just sat around one of those hexagonal tables (I think the guys called them the benzene rings lol -_-) for "consult" hee! Had a really, really great time talking to my 2 favourite teachers :) It's awesome how there's hardly any generation gap and we could all tease and poke fun at each other just like friends do. They're truly the nicest teachers I've ever met in Hwa Chong and they really make you feel super comfortable around them :) our "consult session" that day was filled with lots and lots laughter, mainly because the guys were spewing all kinds of nonsense as usual (I hate to admit it but this will forever be one of the things I miss the most about 7F heee) and Mr Ng was being extremely funny with all of his hilarious comebacks! Seems like he has officially gone over to the dark side teehee. Ms Wong was just super cute with all her funny expressions in response to all the things we talked about ^^ Anyway we chatted for like hours I think! Ended our HC visit with a group pic with Mr Ng :)
Oopsie partially blocked Mr Ng :( Yes our Mr Ken Soo finally appeared towards the end!
Stalls were mostly closed :(
Ken Ler was disappointed he didn't get to visit his favourite caifan auntie HAHA
Joy the photographer lags behind like a lagging strand to take a candid shot
Kangaroo Ler drove us to CCK sports complex after that for BADMINTON! :))))) Squished like sardines in his car and omg he was like some reckless F1 driver who always only came to a complete stop a few feet beyond the stop line at traffic light junctions (Y) Still, thank you for being our chauffeur for the day! I foresee a bright future for you in the cab industry :) Anyway badminton was extremely fun!! Teamed up with Ler for a few games (heh we thrashed all our opponents yay!), then with Ding Jie (New nickname: Ding Ning LOL for calling me Joy Lin Dan excessively) and Ken Soo for a few others. I conclude that badminton is the best thing to play if you want to bond with your friends, whether old or new :)
Ken Ler vs. Ding Jie and Yun Ting!
Hee love the badminton bunch!
We're thinking of making it a regular thing, maybe once every fortnight or once a month if our schedules are packed or something. Hope we do keep that up!!
Met Licheng and Cher at Jcube for our post-badminton meal at about 3+!
Then the stinky 7F badminton bunch went to the library HAHAHA I think only we would do something as epic as that. Who in the world goes to the library after badminton lol! Yun Ting and I borrowed some books (Michael Cox!!) while Ken Ler waited for us. He drove us to Bukit Gombak after that while the rest left for Jurong East station, then Yun Ting and I took the LRT home together :)
Kangaroo Ler walking illegally down the carpark slope because it was faster haha
In all, it was a wonderful wonderful day out with great old friends :) I'm glad we haven't become strangers yet! Here's to more class outings in the future ^^
3. Hee bought my Year 2 textbooks from Co-op finally!
Abbas Immunology and Mama Robbins ^^
I bet a lot of my classmates have already mugged like half of the entire M2 syllabus by now hahaha but I honestly am still in holiday mode :( Believe me I did try to read something after someone called Mervyn Lim told me he's already read a few pages of Abbas, but I didn't manage to survive past page 2 #failmugger
4.
Happy Belated National Day! ^^
"Singapore, 47 years old and still as hot" (quote 9gag Singapore facebook) HAHA *all toes and thumbs up* Spent National Day doing spring cleaning at PGP, then watched NDP on TV (to see Lee Kuan Yew especially haha #twitterdrama) as usual :) Yes I don't know why I still bother watching it knowing the standard has been on a downhill dive for years. I know a lot of my friends don't watch it anymore haha! Or maybe this year's viewership soared because we were all watching and waiting for the appearance of that one notable man to kill (haha joke unintended) all the silly rumours. Really glad he's still alive and looking rosy! :) But oh wellsers, other than the spammage (yes I felt it was a bit of an overkill :/) of lights, music, and tiny little people scrambling about in exaggerating costumes to form patterns, some of which with no obvious link to any National Day nor Singaporean themes, it WAS Singapore's birthday after all, and even if you don't watch it for anything else, watch it for the good old National Day songs, pledge, and national anthem, at least :) #goodsingaporeanjoy Oh and the fireworks! Yes yes they were impressive I must say :) And at least there wasn't a Fun Pack Song this year HAHA now that was a great memory wasn't it
5. Dinner with bear at Ippudo @ Mandarin Gallery yesterday :) There was a CRAZY long queue but we simply had to try it because it was his sister's recommendation and she said it was better than our all-time favourite Menya Musashi, which we'd both found rather unbelievable! Queued for half an hour and finally got our seats in one of the corners :)
Random picture of the restaurant taken while queueing
My Shiromaru Motoaji, recommended by bear's sister and hungrygowhere
Bear's curry ramen! Forgot the actual name hee
Some spicy tofu thing we ordered which was pretty yummy! Small portion though
Our verdict: It was good, but definitely not better than Menya Musashi, and certainly not worth queueing for :( We agreed that we'd both come back if there wasn't such a long queue! Otherwise... Menya Musashi's still the best :) Don't get me wrong though! The ramen was nice, but to me it was just a bowl of nice ramen with nothing too special. Menya Musashi's sauce comes in a separate bowl and dipping your ramen in it before savoring it with all your senses afterwards really gives you a great sense of satisfaction that's truly one of a kind; it's something you hardly get from all other ramen places in Singapore! Okay I'm done advertising for Menya Musashi once again hee, anyway they opened a new branch at Ion recently so they've 2 branches in Singapore now :) Must go with bear soon!!
Took a stroll down Orchard after dinner (OH ran into Joce and Vincent while we were walking out of Ippudo! :D Hee they were queueing for it), then wandered into Taka for a Toys sale HAHA looked at all the different types of toys we played back when we were kids and the type of toot water bottles we used to own :D so CUTE I can already picture a little bear with a cute water bottle hanging around his neck heehee! ^^ (I just know he's going to cringe when he reads this) awwww :) #pedophelictendencies
Just got home from this!!! Hmmm it was not bad and really entertaining, they had brilliant lights and sounds throughout the whole performance too, like sparks, flames, spotlights, lasers, etc at the most epic moments. I didn't go for the show with great expectations because David Copperfield has long claimed the throne in my heart, but Liu Qian didn't disappoint us either with his magic tricks :) I've already seen some similar stuff from David's performance so some supposedly shocking tricks didn't exactly shock me this time. Liu Qian was funny though! Made us laugh all the way :) While David was equally humorous in his own way, I guess Liu Qian did a better job at injecting humour into his show! Performance wise I suppose David Copperfield still beats Liu Qian anytime. I remember David's stage being a really simple one with none of the flamboyant decorations nor terrific lights and sounds that Liu Qian's had, yet he managed to sweep his audience off their feet so much more. So guess we can conclude that the best magicians hardly need any special effects or lighting to astound the audience with their acts :) But of course Liu Qian's a great magician too and he's the pride of Asia especially, so I think his show today was a true eye-opener for those who were there for a live magic show for the very first time! As for me, my second time will never compare to the first hee. Oh and not forgetting the fact that the 30 mins long wait for the show to begin left a pretty bad taste in my mouth :/ why can't magicians be punctual sigh, David was!
Waiting for the show to begin! Already felt like I was at some rock concert seriously
Lots of screens everywhere because no matter where you sat, you were too far from the stage
LOTS of people came down to watch him! Ohai old granny :)
Aaaaand that's about all the updates I've got for you folks! Sorry I tend to write unbearably long posts that make little sense :( Hee gonna start reading The Meaning of Night now! *bookwormy toothy grin*
Joy ♥



