Chasing waterfalls
Joy ♥
15 October 1992
NUS YLLSoM class of 2016
God, squirrels, puppies, singing, reading, travelling, long walks, stars



"It is raw and it is so damn real you want to run away just to soak it up and take it in. The soul mate. The one you feel vibrate when they are a thousand miles away. The one you hear whisper when they think about you. The one who lets you move freely but embraces your shadow from afar. That one. The one you feel like you have known for a million years."
- Unknown
« back forward »
 
Friday, March 09, 2007, 4:06 PM
HELLO HELLO! :D

JOY SURVIVED OBS.

Yes, peepos you heard correctly. Joy survived OBS and she's back after a warm shower! But her fingers are feeling slightly weird because she haven't touched a keyboard for ages. Actually 5 days only -.- but yeah. And also cuz of my sunburn :( - more on that later! Okok. All about obs.

Day 1
We did mostly paperwork and admin stuff. No excitement, bleh! And we did belaying. Twas quite fun :D Our watch is called Shackleton! And our instructor is ZhenPing, nickname Zippy (: She's ADORABLE :D And funny!

And at night we slept in tents. They didn't have warm water for shower, so Joy was shivering in the night with her teeth chattering away. My head was on hard harddd floor (grass, actually. With a ground sheet from the tent thingy, of course) and I was struggling to make my one and only poncho both my pillow and my blanket, resulting in a really awkward position -.- It took me awhile to fall asleep, but I actually dreamt of obs! And the next day we were scheduled to wake up at 5 (:

Joy remembered to eat an apple too! :D

Day 2
3D! 3D stands for Double Dangle Duo-er (or do-er), it's like. You got these logs, and between those logs is a huge gap. You gotta work with your partner to help each other up. The higher the logs you reach the better. Trust me, it was so .. ARGH! I paired up with Caitong and we finally managed to get to the 2nd log. Then the 3rd, and then we stopped. But we felt accomplished (: At least I did.

Theeeeen we were supposed to kayak to Camp 3. (we were in camp 2. Camp 1 is the most luxurious one, and camp 3 the worst one without lights and water resource) So the instructors spent a hell lot of time nagging and nagging and telling us about kayaks and everything, and in the end it started raining and we haven't even started. In the rain, the instructors kept talking and they never stopped despite the distant rumbles of thunder heard. That was sooo dangerous, man! I mean, imagine the lightning .. so, now, we have to wear wet clothes for our next kayak tomorrow. At least we don't have to suffer in camp 3! Wooo :D

Then for the rest of the day, we cooked and worked in wet wet drenched clothes with "foot therapy" (quotequote Hilary! xD ) due to the huge amount of sand in our shoes. It was .. horrid, and those muscles on the underside of my feet started to ache. And I walked like super weirdly.

That night I changed showering area! went to a much cleaner bathroom but of course, it's still disturbing. But it's better, so .. yep. The tents were better too! Higher ceilings = no more tent fabric sticking on your face as you sleep! But then, it was verrry cold at night. I was sleeping near the entrance of the tent as I wanted a sea-view, but turned out I could only "view" trees when lying down -.- and thanks, Bella for saying that ghosts live on trees -.-

Joy had 2 apples today! And she dreamt of obs again.

Day 3
TREKKING.
OMG. IT WAS MURDEROUS okay I tell you. I carried one 2 litres obs water bottle and an annoying yellow medics bag (cuz I'm the medics IC, see HEE! I love volunteering to do this) and my bag was sooooo heavy. It was heavier than my .. cousin, sort of. Pshh. I nearly fainted at first. I mean, I was like "no. let me die. Just freaking let me die." And a few times I tried to collapse but nah, haaaad to hang on! Then we reached our first checkpoint (: We were supposed to trek from camp 2 to camp 1 (the high class camp yummy), but they purposely made us trek a huuuuge round. Sigh. Okok. First checkpoint, we were supposed to build a raft thingy. Our raft had a really nice name. It's called


The flexible oh no! raft.

-.- HAHA. Cuz we didn't have much time to build it and the thingy kept wobbling, so yea. Our idea got rejected -.- but nevermind! That isn't the point. Then on our way to camp 1, I was much better. We sang a few songs but it was stillll darned tiring. Yes. I really felt like throwing myself off the nearest cliff. But I didn't, because it'll be painful -.- And, when we finally FINALLY reached camp 1 the oh-so-beautiful paradise, we were shocked! Like, totally jaw-dropped! I mean. It was like so cool, they have a hall, a courtyard for flag-raising, and a staff library. I felt like a villager entering a modern city -.- Honestly. Haha. But then the campsite was quite dangerous cuz there were wild boars and stray dogs. I was terrified. But the shower, of course, was in tip-top condition as compared to camp 2 and not to mention, camp 3 and yep.

Joy ate 2 apples again! Joy dreamt of obs again as well. Yep.

Day 4
KAYAKING. That was so stupid. We kayaked from camp 1 to camp 1 -.- kayak out and back again, cuz we missed a chance to kayak, remember? Yep. Kayaking nearly killed me. Yes. Last time we practiced our rescue drill in shallow water, now the crazy instructors pulled us to the middle of the sea to capsize o.o and yea. "It's Jellyfish season, so please be careful" was what they said. I already saw a few jellyfish along the way, so I was thinking "No, man, no I won't do it. Kill me or whatever, I won't do it." And the wet clothes were simply DISGUSTING. It was giving out a pungent smell. Like ewwwww.

Anyways. So we capsized. Bella and me. The drill. We were supposed to get back on our kayaks, and we had trouble doing so. We panicked. Especially me. I canNOT imagine getting stung by a jellyfish. I was SO TERRIFIED I started crying. Yes you heard me right, I CRIED T_T Bella had a bit asthmatic attack due to the freaky life vest, and we spent the longest time in water. It was the most horrifying experience, I tell you. I just wanted to get back on my safe kayak as soon as possible. A lot of times I've been thinking of giving up and dying I'm serious, but yea. I wanted to get back on the shore but I couldn't really see how I can do so without getting back on my kayak, so I can't really "give up", y'know? So I stayed on. Here I want to thank Lydia and Chentian for encouraging Bella and me. They helped a lot, really, so, thanks for being there (: Also, thanks Steven (one of the two instructors) for not giving up on me. What a horrible student I am :/ I feel like a failure. Thanks for that pat on the head (: And thanks, Bella, my dear kayaking partner, for offering to let me go up first. But since I know that I don't have the ability and mental patience to do so, I let you go up first. Congrats on making it! :D In the end, Steven and Lydia and Chentian and Yiwei and Wenqi I think helped us up :D I was overjoyed. The rest of the kayaking journey was .. okay. I got a bit seasick. So did Bella. But all was better in the swamp. We were energetic enough to sing "Row row row your boat"! :D Back in the sea, we felt better than earlier. But still seasick. Bella got very tired in the end, and Nicole and I had to switch kayaks in the middle of the sea. I got a bit sea-phobic, but it was over soon (:

I got ridiculously sunburnt on the back of my two hands. They look roasted. And I look like a huge red apple now. My cheeks are red. Psh. So, yea, it hurts like djsfhajskdfh now ): Also, nearly all of us got heat rash. Ahhh.

AFTER KAYAKING.
WE TREKKED. AGAIN. From Camp 1 to Camp 2. That was so pointless why can't we just KAYAK to camp 2? Pshhh. But it was quite a short trek, so yea (: We had biscuits and leftover ration food for dinner. No cooking, cuz we were dog tired, really.

Day 5 (TODAY!)
No more activities! We packed and all that, and thank God we didn't have jetty jump. I would NEVER want to catch myself soaked in that horrible jellyfish-infested seawater ever again. I would freak out and just die in there. So yea! (:

Then we did a little something for Zippy. We'll miss her and it's so sad. We all cried - well most of us did, and I was .. crying till water came out of my nose (EW) .. I have no idea why, and how -.- but yeah. HAHA, and then at 2, we came back to Punggol jetty! And mom and dad came to fetch me. Oh how I love the smell of home (: But I miss camp 2, really. And Zippy too ): We got zippy's contact no. and email! So no worries, we can meet up soon! :D Wheeee.

And now, I'm sitting here, blogging on my white laptop! I feel more adapted to home now. And I was so touched when I saw my sparkling clean bathroom xD Yea. I learnt a lot from obs. I gre muscles (: Not a lot, but yea, I did grow muscles, and I'm aching all over. Meh! That's about it. I shall rest now. Buhbyeeee! :D

Oh, and I lost 1kg! Obs - the perfect dieting course. Thank you (you), zippy! - a little inside joke! (:


---

P.S. Tag replies:

cc: Haha thanks! Obs gave me a lot of fond memories (: Haha yep fishpear makes awesome skins :D
Joanne: Relinked! :D Haha thanks!
PSPS: Um haha sorry nope (:
Iris: HAHA hello! :D Yea I know -.- I look roasted! :/ I'm sure you went kayaking too, but you don't look sunburnt, which is a good thing! Ahhh I'm roasted. Rahh.
Xinfang: HAHA you la what! xD
Adria: haha same! obs is so fun. although I felt like dying sometimes :\
Jem: Yeaa ): me tooo. You weird person you don't look roasted at all! ahhh xD
« back forward »